SC GEAR UP could not make a difference in the lives of its students without the support of businesses and community volunteers. These two groups partner with schools, educators, and students to form a mutually supportive relationship that benefits everyone involved.
In a SC GEAR UP partnership, a business and a group of students at a particular school commit themselves to specific goals and participate in defined activities. Partnering is a win-win situation for all parties.
SC GEAR UP partnerships encourage learning while providing real-world experience in the workplace. When partners combine resources to integrate school curriculum with real world lessons, both earn positive recognition in the community.
Businesses benefit by:
- Becoming involved in the community through involvement in the schools.
- Helping to prepare students to become a well-educated, future workforce.
- Exposing students to nontraditional careers or careers with which they are unfamiliar.
- Inspiring students to stay in school.
- Contributing to the education of future employees and consumers.
- Participating in various school activities.
- Enhancing their community through in-kind contributions.
- Enjoying positive public relations and recognition from parents and the community.
- Receiving parents patronage.
Students benefit when:
- Adult role models, mentors, and volunteers share their expertise with them.
- Businesses provide resources and services that enhance their education.
- Volunteers provide assistance to teachers and administrators.
- They gain an improved understanding of the business world.
- Business partners bring real-world, meaningful, learning activities to them.